EDUC 337 Week # 4

Hello group!

     I really wish I would have known we were going to use this particular subject for our blog post because I have one heck of a "I did not get my way" story.  I will start in 2012 when I got out of the Marine Corps, I served 13 years, took that summer off to relax and hang out with my son.  I started my college adventure that fall, I loaded up on classes and pushed through to complete my associates degree after four semesters.  I had my daughter in January of 2014 so I was only in one class for that spring semester but was able to push through to more courses that summer and fall.  Spring of 2015, I was almost finished with my education courses I needed but this is when everything fell apart.
     I was rocking and rolling toward my bachelors degree and finishing all of my schooling, so excited and could not wait to start teaching.  It all changed that Mother's day with a phone call from my mother in law (Linda), she decided that day she was going to sleep in so she did not call until later in the day.  Calling my phone to wish me a happy mother's day, she decided to tell me during that call she had been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and was not going to fight the cancer.  Okay so now what else could go wrong?  My husband and I decided that the kids and I should go visit her in June after school was out for the spring semester.  We all went to visit her and we found out that she was going to stay at home on hospice for her final days.  We were told she could not be left alone but she kept insisting that she was fine.  I was not having that so yes the kids and I stayed to take care of her until her last day on August 15, 2015.  During all of this with Linda, my husband receives orders to California the state for him to report (he was still active duty Marine Corps at this time) October 1, 2015.  Really, with everything else we had going on we had to move again and CA at that; okay so let's go!  Did not get my way to start schooling back up at all but I make the choice to put her last days as comfortable as I could.
     We are still getting settled in at our new house in CA, got my son all ready to start school and making sure everyone was as happy as could be until I got the phone call.  Due to the time difference between MO and CA, it was about 6:30 am, I got a call from my mother---she had just left the ER after being told she had a possible cancerous mass on her right lung.  She was officially diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer but was determined to fight the cancer and kick some butt.  She started treatment immediately and had weekly radiation start in February after she was diagnosed (2016).  My daughter and I came to MO to help with her appointment.  It was a rough three months but we made it through it.  My husband and son came to visit for a week or so during this time and that is when we found our forever home that we live in now.  Yes, we moved again from CA to MO in May of 2016 and during mid June my mother was told she had exhausted all means of treatment so she went on hospice care to spend her final days at home.  On August 7, 2016 I received the call from my step brother that she had passed away at 5:40 am.  Still not getting my way with being able to finish my schooling but I was enrolled (here at Columbia) and ready to continue.  It was a very difficult two years but we did make it through it all!

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness Michelle, you truly wrote at a pace that kept me riveted! That's terrible :'( I'm so sorry for you and your family's losses! And so close together : ( . I'm glad you all are on the other side of it, and I wish you and your's a lot of peace after all of that. I hope the last two years have been a lot less eventful! Wow, I can really take away from all of that how strong you and your family must be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle,
      Thank you for your kind words! Those couple of years did makes us stronger and teach us a lot about patience, acceptance and most of all the love we have for life! Thank you again lady!
      Michelle

      Delete
  2. You have had quite the ordeal over the past few years! I'm so sorry for your losses! I am glad that you are able to pursue your dreams now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda,
      Thank you lady! I am so very grateful as well!
      Michelle

      Delete
  3. Michelle, I'm sorry for your loss. I love your motivation, determination, and positive outlook. You have helped keep me calm and sane during high anxiety times of assignment due dates in our previous courses, which I appreciate. I know you'll be a good teacher that will help your students remain calm, motivated, and determined. I think your past is a contributor to these positive traits that you possess. I'm proud of you! Never give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley,
      Thank you so very much for your sweet and caring words, they mean more that I can express! Hugs!
      Michelle

      Delete
  4. Hi Michelle, cancer is a terrible disease. I am sorry for your losses, but am glad you are finally able to fulfill your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carman,
      As my sister and I still say "cancer sucks!" Thank you for your kind words!
      Michelle

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh Michelle, that is so much to go through in such a little time! I'm so sorry. It really stinks when you feel like you're trying so freaking hard to finish school and you just keep getting bombarded with waves and you can't find the surface. I am so glad you are continuing and didn't give up! It seems like a lot of us have had unexpected paths but we are all trying to fight through to the end so we can become teachers like we dream of doing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Class Reflection #1

EDUC 337 Post # 3