EDUC 337 Post # 3

Hello group!
     As always, I enjoyed class tonight!  By going over word walls and having a quick thought on creating a lesson plan really got my mind going.  I really enjoyed that because it was a quick learning tool that opened my eyes to very different words and how to use them in a classroom. 
     Creating a mini lesson plan about a writing lesson almost blew my mind though!  I felt like we needed about 15 more minutes but I was able to learn a lot about thinking quickly on my feet about different teaching ideas used during this assignment. 
     Unfortunately, technology was not our friend last night so the last portion of class was pretty confusing so I plan on going back over the power point to make sure I do not miss out on anything.  I think I have my unit lessons planned in my head, I have started my 100 questions and I hope to start/finish a lot this weekend.  We will see.  :-)

*You all may be getting a bit tired of hearing/reading about my 4 year old but I am really excited to see her going through the "steps" that children go through when they are learning to read.  Miss. Madalynn brought a book out the other day, sat next to me on the couch and began "reading" with her finger what she saw in the book.   She was telling the story with the pictures but using her finger to "follow" along with the words.  It was awesome!  I was so excited to see her enjoying "reading" because my son absolutely hates to read even with all the little tactics and fun ideas I have learned has not worked.  Thank you for letting me update!  :-)

Comments

  1. Hi Michelle, I know what you mean about trying to create a mini lesson in such a short amount of time. There are so many things I thought of after the fact that we could have done but alas, time was short. It's getting easier to write lesson plans now that I have been doing them over the last several semesters but sometimes thinking on your feet is a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle, I agree, I was caught off guard too but it's good that she challenges us to think on her toes because we may have to make split second changes to our lessons one day. I think it's fun that you are sharing the stages your daughter is going through. My daughter is doing similar things and it's just fascinating to watch them grow and all the things they can learn in what seems like a matter of minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so exciting about your 4 year old Michelle! Congrats and best wishes for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It challenged me to think of a mini lesson in that short time frame because I tend to overthink. I’m indecisive and want it to be this great lesson that I keep thinking and researching which ends up costing me even more time. This activity challenged to be decisive and get it done quickly instead of trying to “perfect” it. Even after the many semesters of creating lesson plans and/or unit plans, I still struggle with over thinking. I haven’t quite narrowed down how I’ll do this unit plan. I’m happy for your 4 year old! I enjoy it when you share these personal stories, especially when you use tactics we’ve learned in classes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, nothing will get your child to read unless it is something he WANTS to read! Does he like baseball? Harry Potter? Whatever he loves, he will want to read. Have you tried the Captain Underpants books? Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr Steffes,
      I have tried, bought(he has all of these collections of books), played along with, read to, you name it I have tried it with my son and he is not having it. I have even tried to adjust the hours of the day that he is in reading or language arts so he can focus better; nothing. I think he will grow to love reading, like I did, but it has to be on his terms not anyone else's. :-( We will see!
      Michelle

      Delete
  6. Michelle, have you tried letting him go to a store and just picking out whatever book he wants? Even if he goes to Barnes & Noble and picks out something that has interactive things-maybe that will help him get excited about it at least! I agree with Dr. Steffes though, he isn't going to read unless he wants to! That's gotta be tough but keep trying new and different ways!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

EDUC 337 Week # 4

Class Reflection #1