Post # 2

Hello group!  I apologize for the delay in my initial post, I have had a horrible week.  This week we talked about RAFT and anticipation guides.  I am not sure if I completely understand either of these strategies them but I am going to try to explain it the best of my ability. 
RAFT stands for role, audience, format and topic.  It is a writing strategy that helps students understand their roles as writers, the audience they will address, the varied formats for writing, and the topic they'll be writing about.  I think being able to use this strategy in all subjects will give students a better understanding of a specific subject and assist those who are having writing problems.  I keep finding all of these little activities online for so many different subjects; I may have to incorporate this strategy into my lesson plans. 
Image result for raft teaching skill
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Browse/Search:raft%20activities

As for the anticipation guide strategy, it is used before reading to activate students' prior knowledge and build curiosity about a new topic.  Students will give their thoughts and prior knowledge of a subject or book as an opener, then they will read through the assigned book or listen to a lesson plan.  Once they have read and been through a lesson, the students will be able to adjust the information they previously answered. 

Image result for anticipation guide
https://www.socialstudiessuccess.com/2015/04/17/anticipation-guide/

I am not sure this particular strategy could be used with all subjects but I think it could be adjusted to accommodate a lesson.  I think the more I used both of these strategies, the better I will get at adding them into my lessons to better instruct my students.   

Comments

  1. Michelle,

    It has been a crazy week! I am taking 4 classes this semester and it is a lot to keep up with. I think the anticipate guide can be used with every subject. You provided examples for science and history. You could use it with a math lesson to find out what the know about a math topic. You can also use the guide before reading a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to agree with you on the understanding of some of these strategies, but just looking at them online I somewhat got a better understanding. I am more of a hands on learner and I think if I did something like this in real time, I would have a better understanding and would be better able to teach it. And I know the feeling of crazy weeks, three classes and working full time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, your blog design is so cute! I also have to agree with you, I don't fully understand how the RAFT strategy works. I get the jist of it (I think) but am not sure how to use it entirely. It's one that I might have to do some extra research on it to be able to feel comfortable using it. I really liked the idea of the anticipation guide and definitely plan on using it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

EDUC 337 Week # 4

Class Reflection #1

EDUC 337 Post # 3