Post # 1

Hello class!

     It is a tough decision on which strategy I would want to use in my classroom, I think I would have to try them all to know what works best for the class at that time. 

     The jigsaw strategy might be one of the last ones I try because I am wanting to teach the younger students so this may be a little complex for them.  This strategy consists of the students working together to solve a problem or a set of problems from a reading or even working on a math assignment.  I could try to have a 1st grade class work on a math worksheet together so they can help each other work out the tougher problems together instead of just doing a worksheet as homework.  I think it depends on the lesson and the class for this strategy.

     Now, with the frayer model being a chart/organizer for students to use when they are learning about different vocabulary words, what the vocabulary words mean, spellings, examples or non-examples could be a great tool to use in my classroom.  I think one way I could use this in a kindergarten classroom is to have the frayer model set up for the students but have a cut and paste sheets with the correct spellings of the vocabulary words.  I could also use a little of the jigsaw strategy in this lesson as well. 

     Finally, is the choice board which is a set of information that is posted in a classroom for all of the students to read and review.  I think this would a great way to present material for science or social studies so the students can go back and review what has been learned about a specific topic.  In a 2nd grade class, we could start out with plants, what makes a plant grow, why is the sun so important to the plants, and build off of that information as we go along with a unit lesson. 

     Just a few thoughts on all three strategies because picking just one is definitely not easy.  Thank you for reading! 

Comments

  1. Michelle,

    I agree that they are all good strategies! I chose the Frayer Model because, of course, it has pictures! Students can get as creative as they want. I think the choice board would be a good way to differentiate lessons by allowing students multiple entry and exit points. I would use the choice board for assignments. The students can choose which activity they want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I think the jigsaw might be a good one to use for workstations/centers for the younger grades. I think that they might like having a choice on what they get to do. It could be simple things, but it could work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you went above and beyond with touching on all three, but this shows you are willing to give them all a go. This shows you are open to different things, just like teaching will present us with everyday. I talked about the Frayer Model also, and I like your idea of using pictures and pasting them under the four categories. This would be a fun and interactive way for the students to learn the vocabulary words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Michelle, I would want to try them all for myself too. You really don't know how well something works until you try it. I like how you included the non-examples when discussing the Frayer Model too. Non-examples are something Mrs. Lewis explained to me in one of her math classes, and I never really understood just how important they were until then. When you provide non-examples with the examples of a topic, students can then immediately identify which is NOT a ______, and what is. It's just another easy way to help your students! Great job Michelle!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

EDUC 337 Week # 4

Class Reflection #1

EDUC 337 Post # 3