Post # 4

Hello group!

I have not started/completed my lesson plans yet so I am going to go through our text, talk about the different activities from there and see if one/all of them stand(s) out to me. :-)

Analogy charting-- "A classroom strategy that provides a visual framework for students to analyze key relationships in an analogy in depth" (Buehl, pg 56, 2014).  This particular activity helps student relate the information they are being presented in the classroom to their lives.  Hum, to use or not to use....

Image result for analogy charting

Anticipation guides--"Engages students in examining their knowledge and beliefs about a topic and then prompts them to reassess their thinking after reading a text" (Buehl, pg 59, 2014).  This gathers what a student/class may already know prior to the actual lesson or reading assignment and this could adjust the teacher's lesson all together so the same information is not being given over and over. 

Image result for anticipation guides examples

Author Says/I say--"A variation of a strategy, which uses a chart to guide students in constructing meaning from a written text" (Buehl, pg 64, 2014).  I am not too sure I am liking this one because it seems like the students would just be skimming through the reading to get the answers to the questions and guessing to the "I say" responses.  Just not sure about this activity....

Image result for author says/i say

B/D/A questioning charts--"Transitions students to assume the intellectual work of questioning before, during, and after reading" (Buehl, pg 67, 2014).  Now this one I think I will use, it give students the opportunity to write out what they think they know prior to reading, take a break from the reading to reflect what they have read so far and putting it all together in the after portion.  It is though they are getting a review part of the way through the reading and can continue once they understand/comprehend.  Definite save and use! :-)

Related image

Brainstorming prior knowledge--"Provides a promising framework for eliciting student's prior knowledge before learning" (Buehl, pg 71, 2014).  This particular activity is similar to the anticipation guides but I think this one would work really well with group activities or in using KWL charts.  In groups of 3 or 4 students, they have one student write out what each member thinks the book/reading is about from the book cover/title of the article, they all read on their own and come back together to adjust their previous thoughts about the story.  Another definite save and use! :-)

Image result for brainstorming prior knowledge

Chapter tours--"A frontloading technique, guides or talks readers through a chapter or selection and points out features of the text that warrant special attention" (Buehl, pg 75, 2014).  I feel as though this is a way to pull major information from a chapter without having students actually read the chapter.  Not sure about this one either....

Character quotes--"A strategy that helps students develop insights about a character by examining what he or she says" (Buehl, pg 79, 2014).  I am sure this is going to be used in my classroom as an activity because it gives the students the ability to "act" out the story or assigned reading with the lines from the characters.  It gets them up and moving as well as giving them a way of remembering what they read. 

Related image

Concept/definition mapping--"An excellent strategy for teaching key vocabulary and concepts in all content disciplines" (Buehl, pg 83, 2014).  I will definitely be using this activity as well along with the assistance of the Frayer model for science, math, vocabulary, etc.  So many different ways to use concept/definition mapping! 

Image result for frayer model

Connect two--"A strategy that helps students explore the key vocabulary of a passage before they begin reading" (Buehl, pg 87, 2014).  The students are able to pull specific vocabulary out of the reading that they may or may not know, define these words and use them to anticipate what the reading is about.  I feel like I would like using this activity but until I actually do, I am not sure about it.  I will keep and modify if needed. 

I am glad I wrote these out the way I did because I have my own thinking map written out for when I go to complete my lesson plans. 
P.S. Susan, I see why you use the pictures the way you do, it brings your own writing to life, so to speak. 

Comments

  1. I have completed two lesson plans so far, and have incorporated B/D/A Questioning and the Frayer Model. I used the B/D/A Questioning for my lesson plan on Japan' Pacific Campaign and the Frayer Model for my lesson plan over the Holocaust. I can see myself using a variety of these reading strategies to complete the rest of my lesson plans, however, I tend to use the same ones and stick to what I think will work best. I would like to use them all in some way, but sometimes I can't figure out the best way to use them. I would have to agree with you about the pictures, pictures deliver a whole different level to understanding things. I am a massive visual learner and pictures help me better understand things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the same boat. I haven’t completed one lesson plan yet. I am almost done with my lesson that I will be teaching on Friday. I will finish it by Sunday. I have a couple of science lessons started. I chose the Frayer Model, the RAFT, and the anticipation guide so far. I also like the circle map and will incorporate that in a lesson plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Michelle, I like how you included your opinion on each strategy for this post. It really gives you a lay of the land, so to speak! I haven't completed one yet, but am almost finished with the first one. I like how you provided the photos for each Michelle, and I like how you kept it to one a piece. Makes it less cluttered, as much I enjoy a visual representation of the topic you're discussing.

    On a more topic-appropriate note, which one are you starting with? I am starting out with the BDA Questioning/Chart, because it seems to break it down for students, which I believe can be very beneficial. However, I haven't seen it used in class yet, so I'm sure there's a better approach. :) Great post Michelle!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

EDUC 337 Week # 4

Class Reflection #1

EDUC 337 Post # 3